[Dnsmasq-discuss] OS X hosted dnsmasq for AD SRV records

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Nov 23 16:18:29 GMT 2010

Peet McKinney wrote:

> Honestly, I'm glad to hear it's not random. Goes to show you how closely
> I looked at the results, but

Of course the order gets permuted for each query of the record, so on a
busy server the answers are effectively random. You can only see the
pattern when you get to see all the answers that are being given, rather
than just a sample. The advantage of permuting the order is that it's an
easy way to ensure that the load-balancing is even.

>>> Is there anyway to randomize the answers dnsmasq provides.
>>
>> It's half a dozen lines of scary linked-list manipulation, could you try
>>
>> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.56test16.tar.gz
>>
>> and see if behaves sensibly?
>
> Um wow. No, really *wow*.  Thanks for giving this a go.  I'll drop this
> on my secondary server and try right now.

Thanks. This is such a fun and effective way to build software.