[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to provide a local abbreviation for an external web site?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 25 09:50:21 GMT 2010

I guess this isn't wholly a dnsmasq question but dnsmasq can probably
provide what I need to do it.

I'm running dnsmasq on a small server which provides DNS (and some other
services) for our small (one user most of the time, sometimes two) SoHo LAN.

I'm doing some development work which involves lots of git and ssh (and
other) access to a (virtual) machine which has a horribly long domain
name. So I'd like to be able to use an abbreviated name, what's the best
way to do this?

If I simply put something like:-

    myname  1.2.3.4

In /etc/hosts on the dnsmasq server machine then I can use just
'myname' and I get the right address but dnsmasq assumes (quite
reasonably) that the full name is myname.zbmc.eu since the LAN's
domain as seen from 'outside' is zbmc.eu.

Is there a way of getting dnsmasq to allow me to use 'myname' as an
abbreviation for 'averylongname.co.uk' rather than as as a short form of
myname.zbmc.eu?

--
Chris Green