[Dnsmasq-discuss] Handling unknown RTYPEs and querying for version...

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Nov 29 20:33:50 GMT 2010

On 29/11/10 19:30, Nicholas Weaver wrote:
> I'm one of the primary authors of Netalyzr (
> http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu ).
>
> One problem we test for that we see as absolutely endemic (>95% of the
> cases tested) is NAT DNS proxies that can't handle unknown DNS
> resource records.
>
> RFC3597 specifically states how they should be handled (as opaque
> binary data which is passed unchanged), but almost all fail to process
> our request for a made-up type (type # 169).
>
> a)  Could someone run Netalyzr against a NAT running the latest
> Dnsmasq code and send me the result link?

Under those circumstances, dnsmasq forwards the query bit-for-bit with
the exception of the query-id and similarly relays the reply bit-for-bit
to the original requestor.

> b)  Are there various bugs/queries which can be done which would
> indicate what version of Dnsmasq a gateway is running?

It supports the standard TXT/CHAOS records in  the .bind domain that
BIND does:

srk at archie:~$ dig chaos txt version.bind

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> chaos txt version.bind
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.		0	CH	TXT	"dnsmasq-2.55"