[Dnsmasq-discuss] Handling unknown RTYPEs and querying for version...

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:15:43 GMT 2010

Thanks!  Yeah, the ID is very useful (we can use that to get
information from specific sessions)

Unfortunately I don't know how to coerce dig into using unknown query
types (its a custom written DNS library in Java that we use, RTYPE=169
is the rtype # we use, and the data format is that of a txt record).

The server identification makes sense, because what it does is it
queries for a special name (server.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu) which
returns the IP address where the request eventually came from, so the
path was

Applet -> NAT -> (ISP) -> Authority.

Which is the IP which the server's requset comes from (often these ISP
dns servers are clutery-beasts which will issue the outbound request
through).

Although F-me, the transcript looks like it passed, but the display
doesn't, so I think this may be a rendering bug?!?