[Dnsmasq-discuss] Handling unknown RTYPEs and querying for version...

Jan Seiffert kaffeemonster at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:49:26 GMT 2010

2010/11/29 Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>:
> On 29/11/10 19:30, Nicholas Weaver wrote:
>
>> RFC3597 specifically states how they should be handled (as opaque
>> binary data which is passed unchanged), but almost all fail to process
>> our request for a made-up type (type # 169).
>>
>> a)  Could someone run Netalyzr against a NAT running the latest
>> Dnsmasq code and send me the result link?
>
> OK, I just did this, and got the error.
>
> Your NAT has a built-in DNS proxy. We sent it a DNS request and our
> server received it from 62.253.128.100.
> Some or all specialized DNS types checked are not properly interpreted
> by the NAT's DNS proxy. The following tested queries were blocked/failed:
>
>     * RTYPE=169 (deliberately unknown) records.
>

> 62.253.128.100 is cmbg-dnsany-1.server.virginmedia.net. which makes
> sense, as my ISP is viginmedia. I'm very sure that a query for RTYPE=169
> will have been forwarded Ok by dnsmasq, so  maybe the problem is at the
> ISP end?

I would also guess it's not only a problem of broken dns proxys, but
also "cleaning" provider server.
dnsmasq is fine. From an dnsmasq 2.52 with it's own powerdns recurser,
i get all green lights (OK, besides that i filter ad.doubleklick.net,
but who wants to talk to _them_, anyway).

[snip]

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Greetings
Jan

--
Murphy's Law of Combat
Rule #3: "Never forget that your weapon was manufactured by the