[Dnsmasq-discuss] Gateway ip address

Samuel Martín Moro faust64 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:58:46 GMT 2010

I'm not sure how Synology firmware works.
adding 'dhcp-option=3,gateway.ip.address' to your confguration file would do
it.
of course, you can specify your internet box as the gateway.
or you can give your own address, but then, you'ld need to route your
network traffic (iptables may be installed too).

have you a shell access to the NAS? or do you configure dnsmasq through some
web interface?
you would also need two network interfaces, two IPs, two distinct networks
(local/provider's box if kept as router, or local/internet if the box is
configured as bridge)
I bought a Qnap TS-509P a few months ago, in order to do that.
Watching their linux booting was a pain in the ass (dunno what they put in
it, obviously too much...).
Also, having 5*2t disks, I was interested by ZFS (RAID-Z).
The thing beeing those NAS usually have a 128/256/512M flash memory, and I
didn't want to loose space on my disks to setup an OS.
So I'm using mfsBSD, which rely on mfsroot. the system is wrote once on the
flash, I update the configuration files before reboot. everything else is
loaded into memory (mdevices).

Well... My point is, you may be able to do it (assuming you've iptables and
an ssh/telnet access).
But if you want to use your NAS as *the* router for your local network, you
may want to install an OS that can do it right...

otherwise/tl;dr: dhcp-option=3,providers.box.ip.address

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM, John King III <waldo120 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've just setup this program on my Synology server thanks to Robert who
> has packaged it for the Synology. Everything is working just fine, but I was
> hoping to be able to specify my gateway.
>
> A search through the config file (and its thorough comments) for gateway
> didn't bring up anything and I didn't find it when reading through it to
> familirize myself with the options.
>
> Right now it's using my Synology server's ip address for the DNS and DHCP
> server, which is good and expected, but I would think using my Synology
> server as the gateway to be pointless. I guess this utility is meant to be
> installed on a server that's acting as a firewall?
>
> Maybe there is even a way for it to, by default, use the gateway specified
> in the Synolgies ip address setup.

Samuel Martín Moro
{EPITECH.} tek5
CamTrace S.A.S