[Dnsmasq-discuss] expand-hosts

Jean-Pierre van Melis fraterdnsmasq at hetemail.com
Tue Dec 28 06:34:09 GMT 2010

I am having trouble with the feature expand-hosts.

The dnsmasq running on my router has no 'expand-hosts' in its
dnsmasq.conf and it still expands hosts for domains that are unable to
resolve.

It is especially troublesome in my setup as I also have wildcard set on
my <domain> so these requests will be redirected to my WAN IP
address.

On my router I have a pound reverse proxy running which then gets
traffic which it shouldn't receive.

Why is dnsmasq expanding the host?

It seems it does it always when I set <domain=domain.com>. Is
this true?

If so, why is there a separate setting for expand-hosts?

I understand the need for such a feature, but I don't understand why it
also expands on hosts that don't contain a dot.

Is it possible to have a switch so I can better control its
behavior?

Cheers all...