[Dnsmasq-discuss] cooperation with samba?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Feb 8 21:48:10 GMT 2011

Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> in the samba mailinglist there was a remark that samba 4 is designed
> only for the BIND nameserver; look escpecially at
>
>   http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-February/160848.html
>
> I know that most programmers work in their "free" time (me too). But I
> don't like working with the ISC DNS, and I'd like working with "dnsmasq"
> under samba 4 too.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

My understanding of the situation is that full integration with AD
requires support for dynamic DNS and the ability to update DNS zones
with a fair variety of esoteric record types. To provide that sort of
facility in dnsmasq would require re-writing and generalising a lot of
code. The cache would have to be generalised and made persistent. The
DNS update protocol and associated cryptography would need adding. There
would have to be a much stronger idea of "domains for which this dnsmasq
instance is authoritative".

The danger is that the result would look not much like dnsmasq, and much
more like re-implementation of BIND. I don't think that re-implementing
BIND, probably badly, is something I want to do.

If someone can teach me that my idea of what's required is wrong, I'll
certainly think again.