[Dnsmasq-discuss] client name via DHCP

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Feb 10 19:28:00 GMT 2011

Hallo, Richard,

Du meintest am 10.02.11:

[...]

> The hostname is in the dnsmasq.leases file.  Exact directory depends
> on how you installed dnsmasq.  If you're using the leasefile-ro
> option, then getting this information is dependent on your script
> saving it somewhere.  If the client doesn't send a hostname, the
> hostname column will have "*" or the mac address.

Sorry - there's a difference:

ISC DHCP shows

lease 192.168.0.60 {
  starts 4 2011/02/10 08:13:27;
  ends 4 2011/02/24 08:13:27;
  cltt 4 2011/02/10 08:13:27;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  rewind binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 74:f0:6d:00:7b:f5;
  uid "\001t\360m\000{\365";
  client-hostname "KB-PC";
}

and "dnsmasq" shows

1305130516 74:f0:6d:00:7b:f5 192.168.0.60 Client-A60 01:74:f0:6d:00:7b:f5

The client's own name is "KB-PC", dnsmasq reads "Client-A60" from a list
on the server (which is completely independent from the "real" client's
name).

I want to see the "real" client's name, it's a better help for guessing
who's the owner of the machine.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut