[Dnsmasq-discuss] FreeBSD vs. "bind-interfaces" and "except-interface"

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 16:41:49 GMT 2011

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Situation:
>
> dnsmasq 2.56 supposed to answer all but loopback.  named (system default
> BIND 9.6.3, FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE amd64) is bound to 127.0.0.1 and ::1
> port 53, confirmed with lsof.  dnsmasq config is as follows:
>
> domain-needed
> bogus-priv
> no-resolv
> no-poll
> server=127.0.0.1
> except-interface=lo0
> expand-hosts
> domain=example.org  # real address here
> log-queries
>
> $ ifconfig lo0
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
> 	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
> 	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
> 	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> 	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> 	nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
>
> This does not work at all (dnsmasq binds to INADDR_ANY), queries to the
> local IP address (192.168.0.4) time out.
>
> I need to add bind-interfaces to the configuration so that things work -
> in that case, dnsmasq binds to 192.168.0.4 according to lsof.
>

> Is this a known issue on FreeBSD?  What means are there to resolve this
> so that users don't fall into this trap?

The behavior is the same on all platforms.

Without bind-interfaces:

Bind INADDR_ANY, implement --interface, --address, --except-interface by
examining incoming packets and discarding those we shouldn't answer.
Changes to interfaces (up, down, change address) are not a problem.
Specifying an interface which doesn't exist is just a warning. Binding
other servers to the same port doesn't work.

With bind-interfaces:

Enumerate the existing interfaces and their addresses at start up, bind
interface addresses according to --interface, --address,
--except-interface. Can fail if a specified interface doesn't exist,
interfaces which don't exist at startup will never be bound. Binding
other servers to the same port works.

Pick your poison, neither are ideal.