[Dnsmasq-discuss] logging dns queries

Frederick C. Damen fred at damen.org
Sat Mar 19 03:10:10 GMT 2011

On 03/18/2011 08:51 PM, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Frederick C. Damen (fred at damen.org) wrote on 18 March 2011 18:10:
>   >   From reading this thread I would agree with both sides, syslog in
>   >dnsmasq is not fully documented
>
> It is. It clearly says logs will go to either syslog or to a file.
It maybe clearly documented for your purposes, but as I stated for my
purposes I would like to know more information than what is stated in
the documentation.  What is the LOG_LEVEL of the dns/dhcp transactions?
Using the facility and log level it is trivial to setup a filter in
rsyslog.  Using their more complex conditionals is frustrating, but if
this is what I must deal with then....

>   >and syslog configuration is the place to implement the fix.
>
> No, it could very well separate different functions in different
> files. It's just not implemented like this (and I'm not asking for
> it).
Huh?

> Logging to a file is better than syslog when you have lots of logs.
> dnsmasq has all the support for log rotation, so in fact using a file
> is always better if you turn on logging.
YMMV!

>   >I also noticed that the log messages in the /var/log/messages for the
>   >DHCP REQUEST/ACK the string after the hostname and before the [pid], (I
>   >assume this is the ident parameter to openlog), is 'dnsmasq-dhcp'.  Am I
>   >to assume that --log-queries will produce a value of 'dnsmasq-dns'
>
> No, just dnsmasq.
Thanks for the info.  Good thing I am only logging the 'dnsmasq-dhcp'.