[Dnsmasq-discuss] Identical IP for multiple MAC addresses?

Butrus Damaskus butrus.butrus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:18:09 GMT 2011

Hello!

Is it possible to completely switch off the checks in dnsmasq and let
it serve identical IP adress(es) for multiple MAC addresses (even at
the same time - when the first lease is yet active)? I need it for
handover (of Laptops) between LAN and WiFi, so that the TCP
connections don't get broken when moving LAN -> WiFi or vice versa.
(Both MAC addresses are on a bridged LAN/WiFi segment and the handover
works wonderfull if I set static IP for the LAN and serve the same IP
over WiFi from DHCP/dnsmasq. But I'd like not to have to configure the
clients manually...)

I use version 2.55 (OpenWrt / Backfire), tried to set "option no_ping
1" and "option rebind_protection 0" in the section "config dnsmasq" of
the /etc/config/dhcp (but cannot find any reasonable documentation for
this config file, don't know how much standard this config file is;
/etc/dnsmasq.conf doesn't seem to change anything anyway).
However it seems that dnsmasq would even not read the appropriate
IP/MAC pairs from /etc/ethers:

Mar 22 18:53:28 ********* daemon.info dnsmasq[2322]: read /etc/hosts -
16 addresses
Mar 22 18:53:28 ********* daemon.err dnsmasq-dhcp[2322]: ignoring
/etc/ethers line 12, duplicate name or IP address

So my question is: is this somehow possible? And: can this be done with OpenWrt?

Thanks!

Peter