[Dnsmasq-discuss] Weird issue when pinging FQDN

Tyekanyk jorixine at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 00:13:44 BST 2011

Hi list!

Sorry to post this kinda lame question but I am struggling with this and I
cannot see the solution. One of the machines in my network, resolves all
hostnames and FQDNs as it should, by dig, nslookup and ping. But the other,
does resolve everything when I query the server (with dig and nslookup) but
when I try to ping the FQDN, it cannot resolve it, but it does with only
hostname. Please see details below.

I configured dnsmasq to only provide DNS service.

The only options I have in dnsmasq.conf are the ones that set the interface
to listen on, and the one that prevents DHCP to listen on that same
interface (I am running isc-dhcp from debian packages tree, the same with
dnsmasq)

I have 2 machines besides the server:
floyd and tws85
here are the relevant parts of every file:

oblivion: (DNS Server) 192.168.101.2
/etc/hosts
192.168.101.151 floyd.elcub0.local floyd
192.168.101.7    tws85.elcub0.local    tws85

tws85:
/etc/hosts > nothing but usual
/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.101.2
search elcub0.local

floyd:
/etc/hosts > nothing but usual
/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.101.2
search elcub0.local

and these are the tests:
from floyd:
root at floyd:/etc/bacula# nslookup oblivion.elcub0.local
Server:        192.168.101.2
Address:    192.168.101.2#53

Name:    oblivion.elcub0.local
Address: 192.168.101.2

root at floyd:/etc/bacula# ping oblivion.elcub0.local
ping: unknown host oblivion.elcub0.local

from tws85:
jorixine at tws85:~> nslookup oblivion
Server:        192.168.101.2
Address:    192.168.101.2#53

Name:    oblivion.elcub0.local
Address: 192.168.101.2

jorixine at tws85:~> ping oblivion.elcub0.local
PING oblivion.elcub0.local (192.168.101.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from oblivion.elcub0.local (192.168.101.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
time=0.644 ms

as you can see, one machine is resolving the domains, but the other does
not... same configuration on both :S

What am I missing here ?

Thanks a lot in advance!

--