[Dnsmasq-discuss] intermittant failure to resolve

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Wed Mar 30 04:01:02 BST 2011

I've been having a frustrating issue with resolving a particular domain
through my dnsmasq server. It seems that 60-70% of the time that I
attempt to look up any host in debian.org, I get a failure to
resolve. Trying again three or four times eventually gets a success.

I've looked elsewhere, debian.org's nameservers seem to be functioning
fine, and other people I know do not have this problem.

I decided to try an experiment, I switched from using dnsmasq to using
bind, and the problem went away.

I dont have a very complicated dnsmasq configuration, its as follows:

# filter what we send upstream
domain-needed
bogus-priv
filterwin2k
localise-queries
bogus-nxdomain=208.68.143.89
bogus-nxdomain=208.68.143.55

# allow /etc/hosts and dhcp lookups via *.local
local=/local/
domain=local
expand-hosts
no-negcache
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.conf.auto

dhcp-authoritative
dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dhcp.leases

I'd appreciate any debugging suggestions, as I'm at a loss.

micah