[Dnsmasq-discuss] Weird issue when pinging FQDN

Frederick C. Damen fred at damen.org
Wed Mar 30 22:18:27 BST 2011

I suspect you may find the cause of your issue to do with the fact that
ping resolves names with resources, i.e. files etc, local to the machine
before finding a DNS server to resolve the name.  Dig I am lead to
believe goes straight to the DNS server.

I had a problem arising from a machine that had a 'domain' or 'search'
configuration statement in /etc/resolv.conf which did not exist on all
the other machines on the LAN causing symptoms similar to what you describe.

hope this helps,

Fred