[Dnsmasq-discuss] Bonding interactions with dnsmasq: ip address allocation

Paul Smith psmith at gnu.org
Wed Mar 30 22:27:03 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 21:07 +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> A few weeks back, someone came up with a valid use-case for being able
> to allocate IP addreses sequentially, and this looks like a second
> one.

Ooh.  Sweet.

However, I have a question about this.  You may recall, Simon, that I
was having serious issues because I had lots of systems booting/doing
DHCP requests at the same time, and dnsmasq implemented a suboptimal
hashing function to determine the initial starting IP, where lots of my
systems were hashing to the same "bucket".  Then there was a ACK/NACK
storm as dnsmasq was handing out duplicate IP addresses to lots of
different clients and they would go through this handshake procedure.

I'm a bit concerned with the sequential allocation model that I'll get
back into that.  If 5 clients all boot at the same time, will they all
be handed the same IP address for the initial response?  Or, is the
implementation of the sequential allocation model such that this won't
be a problem?

I know I didn't explain the above very well.  If you need more detail to
know what in the heck I'm talking about just let me know :-).

Cheers!