[Dnsmasq-discuss] ptr records - different behavior on CentOS and Debian ?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 16:55:36 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:30:31AM +0530, Mohit Chawla wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Mohit Chawla
> <mohit.chawla.binary at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to validate the correct behavior of dnsmasq when serving
> > ptr records.
>
> I must have missed something before, things are working similarly
> on CentOS and Debian. Although I haven't added any ptr-record lines
> in the hosts file, answers to ptr queries are being returned
> successfully. Is this correct ?

The hosts(5) file format is far simpler than a DNS zone file or a
dnsmasq(8) config file. "IP.add.re.ss  name [alias ...]". dnsmasq
assumes that the presence of a hosts listing for IP.add.re.ss means
that you want a PTR for "ss.re.add.IP.in-addr.arpa." to have that
name. You can't put any specific DNS records in there; it's the job
of dnsmasq to translate hosts into DNS.

In addition, PTRs are returned for IP addresses subject to DHCP
leases.

I don't know how multiple hosts listings for the same IP address are
handled by dnsmasq, but I'll bet it's in the [very] fine manual. :)