[Dnsmasq-discuss] Switching from ISC dhcpd and IPv6 DNS

Freddie Witherden freddie at witherden.org
Thu Apr 21 16:44:58 BST 2011

Hello,

For several years now I have been using dnsmasq + /etc/hosts to provide
DNS for my home network.   DHCP has been provided by the ISC dhcpd
server on the same system.  Given the flux of systems on the network
only the GNU/Linux boxes have entries in /etc/hosts with dhcpd doing a
reasonable job of giving devices the same IP each time.

Recently I have got a chance to rebuild the system; and am hoping to do
away with a separate dhcp server and just use dnsmasq.  I am also in the
process of getting a native IPv6 prefix.

However, I am unsure how DNS would work in such a configuration.  Given
that systems:
 - get their IPv4 address from DHCP;
 - pick their IPv6 address randomly (use_tempaddr=1) with help from radvd.

How should I configure DNS?  A hosts file might not cut it as the IPv6
addresses will change on a semi-regular basis.  I also recall, a few
years ago now, that some dhcp clients do not send their hostname when
they make a dhcp request.  (Although, I read that this may have changed.)

Can dnsmasq provide me with an elegant solution to this problem?  What
is the minimum-maintenance way of ensuring that the entire network is
accessible through a domain name?

Regards, Freddie.