[Dnsmasq-discuss] Switching from ISC dhcpd and IPv6 DNS

Bill C Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 19:49:52 BST 2011

On 04/21/2011 11:44 AM, Freddie Witherden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For several years now I have been using dnsmasq + /etc/hosts to provide
> DNS for my home network.   DHCP has been provided by the ISC dhcpd
> server on the same system.  Given the flux of systems on the network
> only the GNU/Linux boxes have entries in /etc/hosts with dhcpd doing a
> reasonable job of giving devices the same IP each time.
>
> Recently I have got a chance to rebuild the system; and am hoping to do
> away with a separate dhcp server and just use dnsmasq.  I am also in the
> process of getting a native IPv6 prefix.
>
> However, I am unsure how DNS would work in such a configuration.  Given
> that systems:
>   - get their IPv4 address from DHCP;
>   - pick their IPv6 address randomly (use_tempaddr=1) with help from radvd.
Strange why would you want use_tempaddr=1?   If you use_tempaddr=0, you addresses will be assigned based on the radvd network prefix and the mac address of the device.   You IPv6 addresses will be the same everytime, unless your network prefix changes, or you change a mac address of a device.

Regards,

Bill