[Dnsmasq-discuss] Switching from ISC dhcpd and IPv6 DNS

Freddie Witherden freddie at witherden.org
Thu Apr 21 20:06:50 BST 2011

On 21/04/11 19:49, Bill C Riemers wrote:
> Strange why would you want use_tempaddr=1?   If you use_tempaddr=0,
you addresses will be assigned based on the radvd network prefix and the
mac address of the device.   You IPv6 addresses will be the same
everytime, unless your network prefix changes, or you change a mac
address of a device.

I consider it to be a very serious privacy concern.  Advertising ones
MAC address to the public internet makes tracing cookies look like Swiss
Banking laws.  I may well be wrong but I think that Windows may even
enable such tempaddr mischief by default.

DHCPv6 seems like quite an attractive -- long term -- solution.  An IPv6
address could be allocate ad-infinitum to a machine (similar to what ISC
dhcpd does at the moment on my network), solving many of the privacy
concerns.  It may even be possible to integrate DNS into this.  Indeed,
if DNS is auto-configuring then having an IP change regularly is not so
much of an issue.

Unfortunately, it is my understanding that Mac OS X does not ship with a
v6 DHCP client.  (So much for some bad apples spoiling it all.)

Regards, Freddie.