[Dnsmasq-discuss] Switching from ISC dhcpd and IPv6 DNS

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 21:13:38 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 08:06:50PM +0100, Freddie Witherden wrote:
> On 21/04/11 19:49, Bill C Riemers wrote:
>> Strange why would you want use_tempaddr=1?  If you use_tempaddr=0,
>> you addresses will be assigned based on the radvd network prefix
>> and the mac address of the device.  You IPv6 addresses will be the
>> same everytime, unless your network prefix changes, or you change
>> a mac address of a device.
>
> I consider it to be a very serious privacy concern.  Advertising
> ones MAC address to the public internet makes tracing cookies look
> like Swiss Banking laws.  I may well be wrong but I think that
> Windows may even enable such tempaddr mischief by default.

I don't understand. A MAC address is only relevant in a physical
network segment. You simply *must* give a MAC address to hosts on
your segment in order to have networking. But beyond that segment,
there's no meaning to a MAC.

Sure, someone can look it up and find out what kind of NIC or
embedded device you bought. But no, I don't see a "serious privacy
concern" here. Am I missing something, or are you?