[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq.lease file + description of its contents

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed May 4 11:39:28 BST 2011

ramakanth varala wrote:
> thx simon,
>

> # dnsmasq -v
> Dnsmasq version 2.40  Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Simon Kelley
> Compile time options no-IPv6 GNU-getopt no-ISC-leasefile no-DBus no-I18N TFTP
>
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2.

Ok, in that case the first column is the system time when the lease
expires. My guess is that the system time gets set to zero when the
machine reboots, so it's the lease length plus the time since the
machine booted.

Note that if the system time gets reset on a reboot than this will mess
up the lease expiry process. For this reason it might be better to
compile dnsmasq with the HAVE_BROKEN_RTC option, which stores the lease
_length_ instead. This works better without a clock which is stable over
reboots.

The other fields are

the MAC address of the client, the IP address of the client, the name of
the client, or * if not known, the client-id, or * if not supplied.

The time field can be zero, which indicates an infinite lease.

HTH