[Dnsmasq-discuss] Is there a limit on max number of hosts?

John Hanks john.hanks at colorado.edu
Fri May 13 02:56:08 BST 2011

Earlier today I added about 3000 hosts to dnsmasq, both dhcp-host
records and corresponding hosts file entries. Dnsmasq start fine with
the update config, but twice today after running for a few hours it
has stopped answering DNS queries. DHCP continues to function and I
haven't found any obvious things noted in the logs (although my logs
are pretty verbose so I may be overlooking something in the noise.)
I've rolled back to my old configuration (around 360 hosts) and am
waiting to see if it stops answering again, but wanted to see if this
was a known issue with large numbers of dhcp-hosts and/or host
entries. Currently running 2.56 but am about to upgrade to see if I
can repeat this with the latest.

Thanks,

jbh