[Dnsmasq-discuss] [suggestion] tiny embedded web server

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:31:45 BST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Shantanu Gadgil
<shantanugadgil at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am a fan of dnsmasq and use it a lot.
>
> The web-server idea doesn;t sound half-bad, now that PXELINUX has
> HTTP support (syslinux-4.10-pre14+) to load the kernel and initrd images

There are already plenty of lightweight embedded web servers.  What do
you see as the advantage of putting it inside dnsmasq?  Is the web
content going to include dnsmasq-internal information such as the dhcp
lease table, dns cache, cache statistics, etc?

The reason DHCP/PXE is part of dnsmasq instead of a separate program
is that it's very useful to add DNS records for each new lease.