[Dnsmasq-discuss] Logging of DHCP activity

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed May 25 14:34:39 BST 2011

dnsmasq at lovelady.com wrote:
> That would be amusing if it wasn't sad.  How does a network loop?
>
> The reason the for the repeated dhcp requests was implied in my prior
> message, but I will spell it out: I had two interfaces to which a single IP
> address was allocated, and the Winbolws machine objected (rightfully).
>
> But to the point: Are you saying that if I have a network configuration
> error or a device on my network acts incorrectly, then it's OK for services
> I have running on that system (dnsmasq, in this case) to ignore their
> configuration parameters and act at will?  I hope not, but that is what it
> sounds like.

What do you think dnsmasq is doing wrong? As far as I can see it's
acting in accordance with the configuration and providing valid replies
to each and every DHCP packet it receives. The question, surely, is why
is the client  repeatedly getting a DHCP lease de-novo. It may be
because of something in the replies it gets from dnsmasq, or it may be
because of other factors, we don't have enough information to judge, yet.