[Dnsmasq-discuss] Logging of DHCP activity

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed May 25 16:39:31 BST 2011

dnsmasq at lovelady.com wrote:
>> The question, surely, is why
>> is the client  repeatedly getting a DHCP lease de-novo.
>
> Thank you for your reply, Simon, but no -that is not the question.  The
> question is "how to I make dnsmasq NOT log DHCP requests to syslog?  It
> seems that there is a "log-dhcp" configuration parameter with no
> counterpart.  Given that, I expected the default to be "don't log."

It is, or at least its "do minimal logging of DHCP interactions,
considered to be generally useful." Setting --log-dhcp produces much
more information about each DHCP transaction, suitable for debugging.
The minimal logging does assume that a sane dnsmasq installation is not
doing multiple DHCP transactions per second. I think that's a reasonable
assumption.

You can direct all dnsmasq logging to another file with

--log-facility=/path/to/file

or remain in blissful ignorance of your broken clients with

--log-facility=/dev/null