[Dnsmasq-discuss] simple all-in-one server

Wim Langers wim.langers at adrias.biz
Tue May 31 07:48:12 BST 2011

Some observations (which might help other people trying to achieve similar
goals or help me if someone on the list has found better ways to accomplish
this).

One server which handles DNS, DHCP (dnsmasq) and other services (cups, ssh,
...).

When it comes to configuring dnsmasq the "problems" start when one tries to
make the server reachable by other computers (by hostname) and when the
server tries to serve it's own dns queries.

1. server hostname
- "/etc/hosts" : might not cut it because it might be overwritten by some
other service
- "dhcp-host" dnsmasq option : does not work for providing the "own" host
name

one can use "no-host" and/or "addn-hosts" dnsmasq option to provide the own
host name

2. nameserver
- "/etc/resolv" : might not cut it because it might be overwritten by some
other service
- "server" dnsmasq option : does not work for providing the "own" nameserver
name
- "resolv-file" dnsmasq option : does not work for providing the "own"
nameserver name

the only option seems to be to create a "/etc/resolv.conf" file before
starting (or restarting) dnsmasq

If my findings are wrong please enlighten me :-), otherwise I hope this
summary is of some use to someone.

cheers,
wim