[Dnsmasq-discuss] OT: IPV6 howto

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Jun 8 15:54:32 BST 2011

Although not directly related to dnsmasq, I'm hoping to get a bit of a
leg up from somewhere on ipv6 best practices right now...

I have a (UK) ISP (idnet) which alleges to offer me IPV6 range, but at
present my PPPOE router (airport express) is not obviously receiving an
IPV6 range.  I suspect the router is the problem, but lets leave that
for the moment.  The allocated range is believed to be static/persistent.

Next up is how to allocate my ipv6 range inside the office.  In the past
I have used static IPs for servers and other interesting bits of gear
(phones/printers), with dnsmasq handing out dhcp addresses for
everything else and also managing the dns mapping to the static ips.  I
can't get my head around the best practice of what we should be doing
with ipv6 though - seems like it's meant to be all automatic, but then
how to give machines meaningful dns addresses?

Finally, I use a bunch of linux-vserver guests, effectively a low
overhead type of virtualisation.  Any tips on how others handle
allocating ipv6 to virtual servers? At present I use something like a
static (class C) IPV4 where the last octet is used also as the guests
"unique id" (vserver housekeeping requirement to allocate all machines a
unique 32bit id)

Any tips or pointers on getting started here, especially if the answer
is to look somewhere else..?

Thanks

Ed W

P.S.  I do get the very basics of ipv6, I'm looking for implementation
suggestions rather than "what is it"...