[Dnsmasq-discuss] dbus, --address

SamLT samuel.lethiec at intelunix.fr
Thu Jun 9 12:01:39 BST 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 12:12:40PM +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> SamLT wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > background: I started to play with IPv6. I'm used to dnsmasq providing
> > me a nice local hostnames resolution (hostnames sent via the DHCP
> > transaction). well, I'd like something similar with IPv6.
> > I'me currently ready about mDNS, DNS-SD &Cie, but my first idea was to
> > use a hook script for each DHCP transactions which will add or delete AAAA
> > records to dnsmasq depending on the MAC address.
> >

> > When I look on the DBUS&dnsmasq page[1], I see that there is no
> > --address support and I was wondering whether or not this could be
> > usefull to have this?
> >

> > I mean, not for my initial idea, I know it's a bad idea for several
> > reasons:
> >    -> there is the privacy extension which means the IPv6 address won't
> >    be using the mac address
> >    -> AAAA record for PC not having IPv6 connectivity might cause some
> >    problems
> >    -> IPv6 only hosts will still be missing their AAAA records...
> >

> > Anyway, as I regularly blacklist new domains, I thought this might be a
> > nice addition? I know restarting dnsmasq should not be a problem, but
> > may be that's something quick to add? I just don't know?
> >
> > to be honnest, I don't much about DBUS either, but writing a small
> > script to add or remove --address directive would be a good opportunity
> > to learn about it.
> >

> > What do you think?
>
> For playing, write a script which maintains the addresses in an
> /etc/hosts formant file, tell dnsmasq to use that file with
> --addn-hosts, and send SIGHUP to get the file to be re-read. That way
> you don't need any changes to the dnsmasq code. As a long term solution,
>  I thing your list of problems is valid and means it's probably not a
> good idea, but I'm not an IPv6 expert, like most people currently.

Thank you for your quick reply. This is indeed one way to do it:)

> > I know Simon is now "seriously thinking" about adding DHCPv6 support to
> > dnsmasq. So I may add one question about it:
> >
> > Is the DHCPv6 server able to advertise new settings? Or do the clients
> > have to wait for their lease to expire (or half that time IIRC) to
> > negociate new parameters?
>
> DHCPv6 adds a RECONFIGURE packet which the server can send to the client
>  at any time to tell it to get new parameters. I'd expect to support
> that eventually, but it's not high priority for implementation.

This is nice to know DHCPv6 has a RECONFIGURE packet. I'd only use
DHCPv6 in order to have local hostname resolution 9and maybe shorter
IPv6 addresses, *but* I really like and "need" the router
advertissement with e.g. radvd on linux, especially since I have 2 WAN
links (IPv6 on both), often one or the other is down so I need a way to
tell the "clients" to use the other prefix so the replies come through
the working link.

Simon, I'm not pushing you in any way, I know, this is probably a corner
case and I was about to read about mDNS&Cie anyway.

Thank you for dnsmasq and for your help (a few times already).

Have a nice day,

samlt