[Dnsmasq-discuss] second dnsmasq machine for "hot standby" - proposals wanted

Modem Man modem-man at gmx.net
Tue Jul 5 16:26:55 BST 2011

I wonder if someone has some solution for my problem:

In my private home, dnsmasq is running on a small server (NSLU2 / SlugOS
5.3) here.
Sometimes, the having is dying because of other misbehaving processes or
DoS attacks. When this happens, the whole home network is out of order,
because of missing DHCP/DNS. Not the biggest problem if I'm at home. Can
just reset the server and wait until it's up again.
But last times, I've been out of home very often and the remaining
family is starting to hate my computer network :-(

So, I'm often thinking about 2 identical servers with identical setup,
but the second dnsmasq does only answer after a delay of some seconds.
Or something else. Bad idea, right?

Or, just to discuss better possible solutions:
I could imagine pinging or dns-testing the master server each minute and
if ping/dns is lost 3 times, I somehow call "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq start"
from the second server. Better Idea? I also need to find out if this is
easily done in bash or perl and so on. But my 1st question is: better
way? usable way? What are your better ideas?

Greetings,
M.M.