[Dnsmasq-discuss] Remembering DHCP Assignments

Freddie Witherden freddie at witherden.org
Wed Jul 13 23:13:29 BST 2011

Hello,

Currently my set-up consists of the ISC DHCP server and dnsmasq.  I am
in the process of trying to switch entirely to dnsmasq.  One of the nice
features of the ISC server is that it attempts to give repeat customers
the same IP address each time.

This is convenient as it allows me to connect a device to my network,
see its IP and then, if it is a permanent fixture, add an entry in
/etc/hosts for dnsmasq to pick up on.

I am wondering how I can obtain similar behavior with dnsmasq.  Manually
adding MAC<=>IP associations is somewhat tedious to do and I would like
to avoid having to use static assignments on clients.

Can anyone suggest solutions to this?

Regards, Freddie.