[Dnsmasq-discuss] TFTP timeout with netascii transfer with specific file

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jul 22 20:49:16 BST 2011

On 21/07/11 14:34, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
> In case it's move convenient, I also uploaded the problematic file
> there: http://people.ubuntu.com/~alkisg/tmp/file
>

> Στις 21-07-2011, ημέρα Πεμ, και ώρα 16:28 +0300, ο/η Alkis Georgopoulos
> έγραψε:
>> While trying to download the attached file using dnsmasq 2.52-1ubuntu0.1
>> as the tftp server and tftp-hpa 5.0-11ubuntu2.1 as the tftp client, I'm
>> getting a tftp timeout error.
>> The file gets downloaded, but the last line is cut in the middle.
>> If I change the original file size, e.g. if I delete a line, then I can
>> download it without problems, that's why I had to fill it with "xxx", it
>> wasn't easy to get a minimal reproducible case.
>> If I use octed mode instead of netascii, everything works fine.
>> If I use tftpd-hpa as the server, everything works with netascii too.
>>

>> $ echo 'get file' | tftp localhost
>> Transfer timed out.
>>

>> $ diff file /var/lib/tftpboot/file
>> 123c123
>> <  	xxxxxx_xxxx_x
>> \ No newline at end of file
>> ---
>>> 	xxxxxx_xxxx_x=xxxxxxx
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Alkis

Thanks for taking the time to characterise this problem. I'm on holiday
at the moment and away from normal test facilities, and I think it will
be best to deal with this when I get back. I've added your mail to my
"stuff to do when I get home" queue. If you've not heard from me in
three weeks or so, please post again.