[Dnsmasq-discuss] second dnsmasq machine for "hot standby" - proposals, wanted

Rob Zwissler rob at zwissler.org
Fri Aug 19 19:22:32 BST 2011

Hi, I'm doing exactly this at multiple locations on dual Routerstation Pros
running OpenWRT and dual Lanner FW-7535s running Debian.  I use Keepalived
(VRRP) and then I have a shell script that does something like "ln -sf
/etc/config/dhcp-master /etc/config/dhcp ; /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart".
 This lets me keep the DNSMasq config files uniform for easy sync'ing.  The
master unit runs DHCP, the backup unit is only DNS.  So far it's worked
great.  I don't bother sync'ing dhcp leases, but it would be easy to do as
well.

Anyways, it works great!

regards

Rob