[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq not always seeing unicast packets

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 10:57:41 BST 2011

On 12/09/11 20:26, Brian Haley wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 03:16 PM, Jan Psota wrote:
>>> I'm running dnsmasq-2.57 on Linux (Ubuntu 11.04), and am starting two dnsmasq
>>> processes to serve DHCP on two interfaces to VMs I'm running.  Initial packets
>>> (broadcast MAC/broadcast IP) are handled fine, but when it comes time to renew
>>> and the VMs unicast the packet directly to the server IP, only one of the two
>>> dnsmasq processes is getting the packets - the second one started.
>>>
>>> [...]
>> I'm not sure why it behaves like that (didn't tested), but if you want
>> to have it working in easiest way - just start only one process of
>> dnsmasq with two dhcp-range= and interface= set for both needed
>> interfaces and dnsmasq will adjust proper range basing on serving
>> interface's IP.
>
> Thanks for the reply Jan.
>
> Unfortunately using multiple range and interface arguments won't work since I
> will need to run >100, with different conf files for each.

You can provide different configuration for different interfaces and
ranges using tags, and split configuration over multiple files for
convenience. Running one instance may well be the way to go.

BTW the non-use if SO_BINDTODEVICE is motivated at least partly by its
non-portability - non-Linux platforms don't support it.