[Dnsmasq-discuss] Big wish:Looks for my setting, due to a probably dns timeout problem

Jan Seiffert kaffeemonster at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 13 20:55:41 BST 2011

2011/9/13  <mabra at manfbraun.de>:
> Hello !

[snip]
> local=/mbg.local/
[snip]
> domain=mbg.local

You don't have, by any chance, any Apple software (iTunes, Quicktime)
installed on Windows?
Apples Bonjour took the .local tld hostage.
Since then and with Linux distros even embracing this BS (avahi) i see
the funniest name resolution problems in networks which have .local,
because in inconvenient moments first a multicast name resolution over
bonjour is tried.
It may not be the reason for your problems, but i suggest using
another tld for local networks like .lan.

> My local domain is "mbg.local" in the range shown
> above [/24].
>
> I suspect that DNSMASQ does not answer the [sometimes
> many] requests in a timely fashion, but there is no
> evendence. I just do not know, where to look further.

I can see nothing suspicious in your config, so some deeper digging
would be needed.
You should be able to get a much better picture if jolt up the logging
to 11^wdebug (what does dnsmasq receive, what does it forward to
upstream server, etc.) and some tcpdumps where when which packets go.

> Any help would be really great!
>
> Thanks so far and
> best regards,
> ++mabra

Greetings
Jan

--
Murphy's Law of Combat
Rule #3: "Never forget that your weapon was manufactured by the