[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP Relay, assign address from other vlan, with no dhcp listening on it

Michael Rack michael.rack at rsm-freilassing.de
Wed Sep 14 06:19:33 BST 2011

Am 13.09.2011 12:17, schrieb SpiderX:
> If it can be done, it should be done :)
> The reason why it should be done in my case not beacuse I'm lazy to
> use sub-option 5, but because I just cannot use it.
> My switch vendor doesnt support RFC5107, and that the reason why I
> can't use dnsmasq, and I'm not the only one.
Surly you are not the only one. I had the same problems. I switched from
my Layer2-Switch DHCP-Relay to a software DHCP-Relay. I does not know
any switch that support one of these RFC-Methods. Also the software
based DHCP-Relay did not support these methods. I had to modify the
source-code to add option 5 (Link selection Sub-option) and option 11
(Server Identifier Override Suboption).

You can hack the dnsmasq source-code and add this feature. I agree with
Simon. Since that is not a official way, that solution should not go
into mainstream.