[Dnsmasq-discuss] Connection to VPN is not set up correctly? dnsmasq needs restart

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Sun Sep 25 09:49:53 BST 2011

Hallo,

I have a problem with dnsmasq/openVPN that I am using here. dnsmasq is
configured to route DNS-queries for a domain e.g. ".mycompany.de" to a
special DNS (the one of my company) via VPN. At system startup openVPN
ist not being started. I do this manually only if I need it.

For this DNS-routing I have a config parameter in my /etc/dnsmasq.conf
like this:
server=/mycompany.de/xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa

Since some days (maybe longer as I did not use the VPN for about a
month) I have the problem that the hosts from ".mycompany.de" are not
resolved anymore after starting up openVPN. I do have to restart dnsmasq
to make this work. Usually this did work without a restart. Are there
any recent changes that could lead to this new behaviour?

Using debian/sid
dnsmasq:
   Installed: 2.58-3

Maybe the problem is in another component, not dnsmasq? What could I check?

Thanks,
Arno