[Dnsmasq-discuss] leases being removed from lease file on startup

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Oct 31 08:32:29 GMT 2011

> Web site says:
>
> "For isolated systems, the user can periodically enter the correct time
> by hand (using Chronyc)."
>
> Aside from the ability to manually set the time (is that novel?), how
> does it better handle an intermittently connected node?

You are mixing two use cases.  1) you said "completely isolated systems
without any gps or network connection can ...", and 2) you asked what to
do with "intermittently connected nodes"

In the case of intermittently connected please see the man pages section
under "Infrequent connections" (see even covers it specifically!)
    http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/manual.html#Infrequent-connection

Also note that recent versions have some additional handling for the
cases of being brought up before networking is ready and appear to work
even in the event you have DNS names for your ntp servers, but no
working dns (yet). See changelogs and ask on the mailing list for in
depth questions on this tricky case...

Note in your case your use case suggested that the "once a day" reboot
might be deliberate, in which case it's a lot easier to "touch" some
file just before going down and hence reduce flash writes (but
personally I doubt you will have a problem with even fairly high freq
writes?)

Also if your budget runs to it then add a second ntp server which can be
"peer"ed and will hence lock and sync.  This will help see you through
reboots of either one machine?

Good luck

Ed W