[Dnsmasq-discuss] patch to support systemd socket activation

Michael Stapelberg michael+dnsmasq at stapelberg.de
Thu Nov 17 19:33:06 GMT 2011

Hi Sergei,

Excerpts from Sergei Zhirikov's message of 2011-11-17 19:02:22 +0000:
> some good ideas in its design, but the one of socket activation, IMO, is
> blown up to the point of being ridiculous. Everyone seems to be adding socket
I think it’s very elegant and useful.

> activation support to their applications just because everyone else is doing
> that. I think dnsmasq is a good example of an application that would *not*
> benefit from such an addition. TFTP support in dnsmasq is intentionally
I agree. I think the DBus-using systemd service file is just fine.

> In other words, I don't think dnsmasq needs socket activation.
Yap. I would suggest that this patch does not get merged, unless the author
clarifies why he thinks it’s a good idea :).

Best regards,
Michael