[Dnsmasq-discuss] Joining and separating LANs

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Sat Nov 26 17:59:37 GMT 2011

Hello,

I'm exploring how to temporarily connect two LANs via a bridged VPN.
Both LANs have a router running dnsmasq, both use the same IP range,
Both have their own internet gateway, even while joined.

How do I handle the transitions between joined and separate operations?
Can I run both instances of dnsmasq in parallel all the time? Each
server should then only hand out DHCP leases in its "own" LAN, but also
answer DNS requests from the "other" lan. Or do I shut down one server
while the LANs are joined? I assume, all clients in its LAN should be
forced to renew their leases once when "their" server goes down and once
when it comes up again.

Thanks,
Malte