[Dnsmasq-discuss] git/svn/cvs? dnscrypt support?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Dec 11 17:11:45 GMT 2011

On 08/12/2011 15:48, Jason wrote:
> I saw this announcement [2] crop up, with code here [3] and I was
> wondering about adding the feature directly into dnsmasq.  Obviously,
> opendns is the first to implement it, but hopefully others will roll it
> out as well.
> [1]
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2010q2/003922.html
> [2]
> http://it.slashdot.org/story/11/12/08/1353203/opendns-releases-dns-encryption-tool
> [3] https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy

I'm a touch cynical about anything that says cryptography, but doesn't
have a mathematician obviously behind it and endorsing it.  It's just
too easy to invent crypto that you can't break, but doesn't withstand
proper prying eyes/minds.  The counter argument tends to be that
something is better than nothing, but there is a hidden cost which is
that of writing and maintaining code

So with that in mind, are there any discussions for/against this move by
opendns?  I believe that the original idea comes via DJB?  I read that
opendns have picked an unusual curve to run with as the standard crypto
choice? Are their any benchmarks on performance?

Cool idea - just curious to see how it's going to get set in stone for
final implementation?

Cheers

Ed W