[Dnsmasq-discuss] Redundant setup with Dnsmasq

Markus Schöpflin markus.schoepflin at comsoft.aero
Thu Dec 22 13:16:30 GMT 2011

Hello,

up to now I have been using Dnsmasq with great success in a medium sized setup
as a DNS/DHCP/TFTP server in a private test bed. It currently serves a few
hundred clients (mostly servers and networking equipment) in four different LANs.

A few of the clients have statically configured IP addresses but most are
using DHCP with automatic DNS registration.

Now I'm faced with the need to create a fault tolerant setup for DHCP and DNS.
I need at least some kind of backup service for DHCP and DNS which takes over
automatically as soon as the primary server fails. Is this kind of setup
supported somehow with Dnsmasq? Or should I be looking into migrating to the
ISC DHCP server and the Bind DNS server for this?

Regards,
Markus