[Dnsmasq-discuss] A and AAAA

Schneidhuber, Bruno b.schneidhuber at pharmatechnik.de
Fri Dec 30 08:19:52 GMT 2011

Hello!

(I hope, I don't duplicate this mail, but I made several unsuccessful
attempts.)
I have a IPv4-only-network, which is segmented in several subnets.
Each subnet has its own dnsmasq DNS-Server.
Each DNS-Server has the other DNS-Servers and a Internet-DNS-Server as
an upstream server.

If I make a query to the local DNS-Server for a computer name which is
in a different net-segment, I get the IPv4 answer from the responsible
DNS-Server.
But there are also some AAAA queries generated, which no DNS-Server
could answer. The negativ answer from the Internet-DNS-Server takes a
lot of time and so does the initial query.

I would like the query to return, if the first answer record (A or AAAA)
arrives.

A similar problem (an AAAA-Record was generated, even if the IPv4
address is in /etc/hosts) I could fix by myself in the source code, but
here I couldn't find the right place to make a change. Could someone
give me a hint what to change (or even provide a patch)?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Bruno Schneidhuber
Teamleiter Entwicklung Systemintegration

PHARMATECHNIK GmbH & Co. KG
Geschäftsstelle Passau, Neuburger Straße 128, 94036 Passau

Tel.: +49 851 98865-0, Fax: +49 851 98865-198
b.schneidhuber at pharmatechnik.de, www.pharmatechnik.de

PHARMATECHNIK GmbH und Co. KG
Münchner Strasse 15
D-82319 Starnberg

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Starnberg
HRA: 64434, HRB: 66369, Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Detlef Graessner, Dr. Mathias Schindl, Stephan Jörgens