[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP only for PXEClient

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jan 5 09:36:39 GMT 2012

On 05/01/12 09:13, Christof Bruyland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Dnsmasq as DHCP and TFTP server for our PXE deployment.
> How can I configure Dnsmasq so it only responds to PXEClient, and not to "regular" dhcp requests?
> My DHCP config only responds to "known" clients using static mappings, but this also responds when the client is requesting a DHCP address during normal boot.
> I would like that it only responds when I start a PXE boot.

Requests from the PXE ROM have the vendorclass set to "PXEClient" and a
code string, so you can set a tag only when dnsmasq is talking to the
PXE ROM with

dhcp-vendorclass=set:is_pxe,PXECLient

and then tell dnsmasq to ignore any DHCP requests which DON'T set that tag

dhcp-ignore=!is_pxe

Job done.

HTH