[Dnsmasq-discuss] Why doesn't this machine have a name?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jan 30 13:10:34 GMT 2012

On 28/01/12 15:08, Chris Green wrote:

> So why doesn't 192.168.1.99 have a name?  Both test.zbmc.eu and
> laptop.zbmc.eu are running versions of xubuntu and they work perfectly
> OK.  The only *very* slight difference with 192.168.1.99 is that its
> name is acer-aspire, would that '-' have any effect?

'-' in hostnames is fine. There are quite a few possible explanations
for this.

Add log-dhcp to /etc/dnsmasq.conf, restart dnsmasq, then send the client
machine through an address acquisition cycle (take interface
down-and-up, or reboot)

Post the resulting log lines from /var/log/syslog here and I'm sure all
will be obvious.

Cheers,

Simon