[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re : Announce: release candidate dnsmasq-2.60rc1

Vincent Cadet v_cadet at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 29 08:26:33 GMT 2012

Hi Simon.

[...]
>>  # pmake way to learn path of Makefile

>>  TOP != echo `pwd`/
>>  # GNU make way to learn path of Makefile
>>  TOP ?= $(shell pwd)
>>
>>  This leads to:
>>
>>  Makefile:38: *** missing separator. Stop.
>>
>>  Apparently it doesn't like the first TOP line.
>>
>>[...]  I'm using Gentoo Linux [...]
>
> Sigh. Writing portable makefiles is a thankless task. I tested this on
> Gnu-make and BSD  make. What flavour/version on make are you using.
>
> Related question: BSD people. Would you care if I gave up the fight and
> required GNU-make to build dnsmasq?

:D

Being a Gentoo user as well, I know ebuilds can tweak the makefile
before running it. It just needs a permanent "convention" with the
ebuild maintainer. I hence think it's not necessary to give up the
makefile syntax for GNU on BSD.

Anyway thank you very much for your job, Simon. I've been using dnsmasq for years now and still will for a long time to come.

Vincent