[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: release candidate dnsmasq-2.60rc1

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 10:08:44 GMT 2012

On 01/03/12 00:30, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 08:05:41PM +0000, Simon Kelley wrote:
>> The DHCPv6 code is looking pretty good now (thanks all testers).
>>
>> So good, in fact, that I think it's time to start moving gently
>> towards a release. I've just created 2.60rc1, available at
>
> Just a thought ... having added DHCPv6, perhaps this warrants a major
> release, i.e., 3.0? :)

I've thought about this, and the reason I didn't go for it is that the
addition of DHCPv6 has not changed any existing functionality. Unless
I've made a mistake, 2.60 should slot into any existing dnsmasq
configuration and just keep working. That's certainly the intention and
deliberately so.

I'd really like to do a non-backward-compatible 3.0 release and throw
away the bad design decisions that have accumulated over the years. I
may well do one at some point, but it won't be now, and I won't force
users to re-build their installations to get DHCPv6.