[Dnsmasq-discuss] Cunning plan, or hideous hack?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Mar 8 14:46:50 GMT 2012

On 08/03/12 13:52, Vladislav Grishenko wrote:
> Hi Simon,
> With enabled IPv6 privacy extensions, the OS generates address by combining
> advertised prefix and random host id, definitely not MAC-derived.
> So, there's no any way to know host address, even if a "server" knows prefix
> and client's MAC, and any attempts to do this is a kind of hack, which is
> not supposed to work.

That's true, and I think I said so in my original mail. The only client
on my wireless network at the moment which uses privacy extensions by
default is my daughter's Win 7 Laptop. That can be configured to use
DHCPv6 if necessary. There are a lot of clients in the world now (eg all
Android phones, at least per-ICS) which don't use privacy extensions and
can't do DHCPv6 or don't do it by default. This hack is useful for those.