[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq DHCPv6 seems to fail with dhcp6c

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Mar 10 18:14:19 GMT 2012

On 10/03/12 00:17, Conrad Kostecki wrote:
> Am 09.03.2012 22:21, schrieb Simon Kelley:
>> nt at all. I'll install it here in
>> the next couple of days and see if I can reproduce the problem.
>>
>> Later....
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Simon.
> Hi Simon,
> thanks for your time! :)
> FYI: When I use dibbler-server, my cisco wlan-ap gets an ipv6-address
> leased with default config.

OK, I'm confused. I just installed WIDE dhcp client: the current version
in Debian, which is 20080615-11.1 That seems to correspond with the
latest release on Sourceforge.

It looks similar to what you have: the client is called dhcp6c, and the
config file format looks similar, but not the same, I have to use

request domain-name-servers;
request domain-name;

to avoid a syntax error. Making those changes, it does stateless mode
successfully. To make it ask for a lease I have to add

send ia-na 100;

id-assoc na 100 { };

to the configuration. That then seems to work OK, in rapid-commit mode
and otherwise.

Whatever client you have, it's not quite the same as I have. Are there
any more clues available as to what we're dealing with?

As an alternative approach, could you get complete packet dumps of the
client talking to Dibbler, and trying to talk to dnsmasq, so we can see
what the differences are?

The easiest way to get the dumps is to run tcpdump on the machine
running dnsmasq with a command like

tcpdump -i eth1 -s0 -w /tmp/dump 'udp port 547'

After the DHCP interaction, control-c the tcpdump command and send me
the /tmp/dump file off-list.