[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature Request(s)

Rob Zwissler rob at zwissler.org
Fri Mar 16 18:48:01 GMT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk>wrote:

>> Perhaps a second expand-host-record to separately enable that?  Or a
>> more general expand-records (?) directive that would work for
>> host-record, txt-record, etc...
>>

> Hmm, maybe. I have a feeling that this is getting complex, especially as
> the domain added depends on --domain, which can be address-dependent.
> expand-hosts for /etc/hosts has the justification that (some) OS's work
> that way when using /etc/hosts outside dnsmasq, for dnsmasq-exclusive
> config, I'm inclined to keep it simple, especially as it's possible to
> include a simple name and an expanded name in the same line
>
> host-record=laptop, laptop.thekelleys.org.uk, 192.168.0.1
>
> The bind behavior with default expansion and a . to override seems nice,
>> simple & intuitive, what about a expand-bind-style directive to turn
>> that behavior on, so as not to break existing syntax, but give that fine
>> grained control to people who want it?
>>

> That breaks the rule that syntactically different configurations should
> vary by more than one pixel ;-). Missing the period at the end of a name in
> a BIND file is almost as annoying as mixing spaces and tabs in a Makefile.
>
> I've got the host-record syntax above working fine. I'll update the man
> page and changelog later today an push it out for you to play with.

The syntax you went with works great, it's simple, intuitive, and does the
job.

I was thinking about dnsmasq syntax and current functionality, the more I
think about it, if it was going to do any kind of host expansion, it would
be nice to do it in a similar way that bind does it with @ORIGIN, that is
to say, multiple @ORIGIN/$TTLs can be specified, and depending on where the
RR is located in the config file determines which @ORIGIN/$TTL it uses...

I'm guessing that would be require a lot rewriting the way dnsmasq parses
the config file, and at some point it's just turning dnsmasq into bind,
which it isn't...

So, good choice ;) the way it works now is great for my application.

Rob